Collaboration is our highly personalized style–knowledge transfer our goal.
Together with your team, we map and track what your customers experience.
It takes an agile, multi-disciplinary team like ours to help realize the sustainable advantage and the enhanced profit in customer relationships and retention. You can count on our real world track record in Marketing, Sales, Operations, Finance, and Technology—from the frontlines to executive management.
Our innovative, objective, cross-functional team will help you establish a more successful
customer-focused alignment. We are from the real-world, so we start wherever is most practical within your organization. We are easy to work with and we strive to adapt to your culture and style.
Our 8-person team has worked together for more than a decade. We know how to make things happen. We are your independent, objective problem solvers and creative thinkers. Our team scales by tapping our professional networks to help staff multiple project teams or to bring in industry-specific or technology-specific talent.
Our team’s industry know-how has its roots in the high tech, IT, manufacturing, transportation, supply chain, energy, environmental, banking/financial services, business processes, and professional services industries. Seasoned professionals, we’ve played on the big stage with major companies.
Religence Team Profiles
Our Executive Consultants:
Sales and marketing, customer experience innovator and integrator. CRI patent holder, Relationship Value metric innovator/inventor. Voice of the Customer research and virtual company pioneer and expert. Oregon State BS, Math. 30+ years running own marketing firms. Game-changing, award-winning Innovation Communities: American Red Cross Disaster Information Task Force, and Institute of Management Consultants Strategic Partnering SIG. Author: Customer Relationship Intelligence: A Breakthrough Way to Measure and Manage Sales and Marketing. Major Clients: AT&T Microelectronics, Brown and Caldwell, Fireman’s Fund, Wells Fargo, EPRI, AMD, U.S. Leasing, Visa, Hewlett-Packard, Chevron, Grace Sierra.
Line of Business management and IT professionals alignment. Instrumental in refining the Religence tools and operational framework. BS Mathematics, MBA. Multilingual. 30+ years in industry, managing information systems in America and Europe for DuPont, Schwab, and others. Early adopter of network technology, open systems, distributed computing, decision support and e-business infrastructure, as well as deployment of integrated systems such as SAP. Pioneer in operations research methods and other quantitative techniques applied to marketing processes. Independent consultant 15+ years. Major Clients: Coherent, Inc., Fujitsu Compound Semiconductors, Inc., National Semiconductor Corporation, Neuron Data, Inc., Dow Chemicals, Southern California Edison.
Product/process innovation specialty. Co-developed with our CEO, our Value Creation Mapping methodology to map the customer experience. USAFA BS, Mechanical Engineering, MIT MS, Astronautical Engineering, PMP (Project Management Professional). 25+ years in developing new products from large systems to consumer products. Led the Management Development Course at General Electric’s storied Crotonville Management Development Center. Faculty: Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), China Institute for Innovation. Author of HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case. Major Clients: GE, Johnson & Johnson, Nielson, Medtronic, Analog Devices.
Holistic sales and marketing management. Expert at helping leaders accelerate profitable growth by enhancing a team’s ability to create and deploy right actions…right now. Cal Poly-Pomona BS (Honors), Business Administration. CMC, FIMC (Certified Management Consultant, Fellow Institute of Management Consultants). 11 years ‘hands on’ commercial sales and marketing at Mobil Oil, 15 years SVP Marketing & Sales-$100M rubber manufacturer, 25 years independent management consulting with a wide variety of B2B clients. Focus on Tire & Rubber industries, Petroleum distribution, and North Texas B2B products & services. Author of Marketing Facets, the Market-Focused Guide to Company Analysis. Major Clients: Mobil Oil, Goodyear, Air Products & Chemicals.
Customer and product profitability, and valuing of intangibles. UC Berkeley BA, Biological Sciences, Haas-UC MBA, Operations Management. CMA (Certified Management Accountant). 30+ years in financial management and consulting. Expert witness in federal and state courts on economic damages and technical matters. Senior Manager PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC), partner in regional CPA firm. Major Clients: Bank of America, Visa USA, Wells Fargo, Philips Electronics, UCSF, KQED.
Business processes, quantitative analysis in marketing, operations, and finance. At home with product pricing, marketing approaches, sales compensation, operational workflow improvement, process gap analysis, improved customer service, etc. UC Berkeley BS Electrical Engineering, Stanford MBA Finance/Marketing, PMP (Project Management Professional). Strategic, Operational and P&L responsibility. SVP Wells Fargo, Program Manager, SRI Intl (Stanford Research Institute). Major Clients: Dolby, Charles Schwab, Wells Fargo, various startups.
Sales and Marketing Change Management. Helped build Discovery Toys into a multi-million dollar direct sales company from the ground up, with responsibility for marketing and business development. BA Human Development, MBA, postgraduate work in education and counseling psychology. 25+ years in management and consulting in high tech, IT, manufacturing, energy and financial services industries including 15+ years running her own organizational effectiveness consulting practice. A strategic alliance pioneer. Major Clients: Kaiser Permanente, Central California Alliance for Health, Kidango, Dolby Laboratories, Electronics for Imaging, and Central Garden and Pet.
Sales and Operations alignment. Developed our CRI Profit Matrix for profitability segmentation. Segmented service packages, a specialty. B.S. Industrial Engineering. MBA Marketing and Management Science. Certified Management Consultant (CMC) and Fellow of the Institute of Management Consultants (FIMC) 30+ years directing some of the world’s largest consulting operations practices, including L.B. Knight & Associates as President, and Global Supply Chain consulting practices leader at Mercer Management Consulting and A.T. Kearney. Major Clients: Procter & Gamble, General Mills, PepsiCo, Diageo, McDonalds, Nucor Steel, Emerson Electric Company, Masonite, US Gypsum, Georgia Pacific, Lennox Air Conditioning.
Religence Advisors Speak:
Michael Connor is CEO and cofounder of SVIA, an open innovation outpost for insurance accelerating industry innovation and has been recognized as one of the top 50 influencers in InsurTech. Mike was employee 72 at Apple and has held leadership positions there and at other Silicon Valley icons such as Silicon Graphics and Adobe Systems as well as with a number of startups. He is author of Creating Insanely Great Customers – Always-On Innovation, and Competing for the Digital Future, a Leadership Training Program for Digital Strategy and Transformation. Michael is a forward-thinking business leader with an extensive acumen in developing and marketing breakthrough products and customer engagement strategies.
Why Michael chose to be an advisor for Religence: Simple, intelligent, effective. Religence’s unique and elegant way to quantify and track relationships to consistently focus on the things that matter most makes me excited to be involved in learning from and helping shape this company. Aligning companies and the actions of their organizations and people to accelerate the creation of customer value and to execute strategy is a complex undertaking for any organization of scale.
Steven Cox has worked in high tech for more than 25 years. Steven is currently working at NetApp responsible for the global sales tools strategy supporting the direct and partner sales community. Prior to NetApp, Steven led several startups focusing on mobile enterprise software.
Why Steven chose to be an advisor for Religence: Companies spend enormous amounts of money in the acquisition and support of a customer base. However, when you talk about customer retention, many companies are hesitant to invest dollars because it’s hard to measure. When it comes to understanding the cost and impact of customer interactions, Religence has broken the code.
Eric Hansen is a technology business executive with international expertise managing the finances, accounting and business operations for software, information technology and telecommunications companies. He has worked with General Electric Infrastructure, Health Systems Design Corporation, as well as the airport and network services divisions of Société Internationale des Télécommunications Aéronautiques’ (SITA) and ARINC. Tax, audit, and acquisitions were his focus at Chemoil and Arthur Andersen International. UC Berkeley BA, Political Economics, University of Washington MBA, Finance and Management Accounting.
Why Eric chose to be an advisor for Religence: Big-data-and-EaaS (everything as a service)-disruption has created global upheavals in both broad and narrow markets. An early-warning, risk-avoidance system like Customer Relationship Intelligence (CRI) is obligatory to fend off new, EaaS competitors. “CRI ‘sharpens the saw’ for customer service and retention unlike anything I’ve seen, and creates an effective, first-rate customer management approach.
CRI can alert new and established companies that their customer relationships are getting weaker and at risk. By highlighting these critical revenue streams, CRI permits companies to take strategic action and become aware of misaligned variable engagement costs. CRI’s KPIs re-balance the balanced scorecard and create actionable intelligence to strengthen customer relationships and reinforce a company’s competitive advantage
Doug Hoppe has seen business from a variety of operational vantage points throughout his 25+ years of experience in the Silicon Valley tech industry. He has held positions operationally and programmatically in Finance, IT and HR functions. Doug has supported as a business partner Sales, Marketing, Engineering, and Service functions and has led implementations of enterprise level applications.
Why Doug chose to be an advisor for Religence: The book, Customer Relationship Intelligence (CRI) by Religence CEO Linda Sharp, describes a powerful framework to improve profitability and business growth through an effective use of big data and data analytics. It focuses attention on retaining customers through a deeper understanding of your organization’s key interactions with them. I believe businesses adopting CRI will be more successful and will benefit greatly by engaging with Religence.
Ian Jacobsen CMC, FIMC advises on matters of organization and serves as a coach for sorting through tough decisions. He brings a wealth of experience in helping his clients increase their options for making decisions that stand the test of time. He is the author of Leadership at Your Fingertips, a critical resource for people who seek to make ethical and effective decisions as leaders. Ian is a Certified Management Consultant (CMC) and was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Management Consultants (FIMC) in 1997 in recognition for his contributions to the profession.
Why Ian chose to be an advisor for Religence: Religence is the sun a rising at the dawn of a new era in customer relationship management. Relationships matter, but until recently, it has been almost impossible to determine their value. Enter Religence (Relationship intelligence). Through the creative insights and efforts of Linda Sharp and the Religence team you now can quantify what you thought was “too fuzzy” to be quantified. You can now measure the effectiveness of the resources you commit to your customer relationships. I believe that Religence is at the forefront of this new technology. That is why I am enthused about Religence and pleased to be an advisor.
Scott Lawley brings over 23 years of experience in the high tech industry. He is currently a director of marketing for SAP, where he drives strategic programs and initiatives, delivering the best in class enterprise web experience. Prior to joining SAP, he was the chief technology officer at Datatic Technologies, a startup delivering unique technology solutions to the food industry.
Why Scott chose to be an advisor for Religence: I have a passion for data, for without it, we are just flying blind. While there is a lot of talk about “the new marketing,” it’s all about the customer and the relationships we have with them. And while there is a plethora of marketing automation tools and service providers, very few companies have made the commitment to adopt a new way of doing business. Religence really understands the value of customer relationships, and they have figured out how to measure it and drive a strategy from it. No other company has done this before.
“Applying metrics to marketing was what initially attracted me to the Religence. As a finance executive, I was eager to find a comprehensive approach that could help us bring discipline and control to sales and marketing. Using revenue and cases sold as proxy for performance wasn’t providing us the focus on profit we needed to optimize our product and customer mix. The Religence Framework for Customer Relationship Intelligence has put us on a path to both high-profit revenue and improved processes.” Kent Wegener, Vice President of Finance, Otis Spunkmeyer, Inc.
“In the fast-paced market for biotech equipment, we had a market opening in that two larger competitors had had a “promise-them-anything-to-make-the-sale-approach” to marketing and their delivery record was coming back to haunt them. We wanted to make sure we could claim customer service as competitive advantage, as the market matured. From Religence’s analysis we could see at a glance where we stood with customers. It set us up well to fix the infrastructure, systems, and procedures problems that were raised in the conversations with customers, so we could claim that advantage. John Poppleton, Product Manager, Applikon, Inc.
“Not only was Linda Sharp and her team able to really listen to what our potential customers had to say, but they were able to translate the customer wishes into such a viable way forward so skillfully and persuasively that our management had to listen. Her firm suggested we position ourselves as our customers’ business partners instead of claiming to have all the answers. The resulting management mindset shift helped us grow from zero to $200 million plus in sales in ten years in Silicon Valley. Her firm helped us carry the program around the world, so multiply that success six-, seven-fold.” Alfred Dipman, Former General Sales Director Western Area, AT&T Microelectronics
“What Linda Sharp and her team did was as simple and as difficult as getting to the heart of our organization. Our members were put at ease, made to feel comfortable in talking, while still being challenged to get to the essentials of purpose and value–so much so that they kept thinking about it after the interview, and stayed involved in the process. We were going through a huge transformation with the deregulation of the industry. It was critical to reposition ourselves from a relatively automatic membership-supported organization to one that was value-driven in both funding and operations. In spite of massive industry upheaval, funding levels stabilized over the long term, and the membership base diversified and grew both domestically and internationally.” Brent Barker, Former Executive Director of Communications, EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute)
Members of our team have been consulting successfully for a very long time—with good reason. We treat clients like we’d like to be treated. We think the Commitment to Clients in the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Management Consultants puts it rather well. You can expect us to adhere to it:
- Religence will serve its Clients with integrity, competence, independence, objectivity, and professionalism.
- Religence will mutually establish with its Clients realistic expectations of the benefits and results of its services.
- Religence will only accept assignments for which Religence consultants possess the requisite experience and competence to perform and will only assign staff or engage colleagues with the knowledge and expertise needed to serve its Clients effectively.
- Before accepting any engagement, Religence will ensure that Religence has worked with its Clients to establish a mutual understanding of the objectives, scope, work plan, and fee arrangements.
- Religence will treat appropriately all confidential Client information that is not public knowledge, take reasonable steps to prevent it from access by unauthorized people, and will not take advantage of proprietary or privileged information, either for use by Religence, the Client’s firm, or another Client, without the Client’s permission.
- Religence will avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance of such and will immediately disclose to the Client circumstances or interests that Religence believe may influence its judgment or objectivity.
- Religence will offer to withdraw from a consulting assignment when Religence believe its objectivity or integrity may be impaired.
- Religence will refrain from inviting an employee of an active or inactive Client to consider alternative employment without prior discussion with the Client.
- Religence will agree in advance with a Client on the basis for fees and expenses and will charge fees that are reasonable and commensurate with the services delivered and the responsibility accepted.
Religence Company Profile
Religence, Inc. (a Delaware C-Corporation, founded July 2003)
- A San Francisco-based firm, with consulting members located in several other states. We collaborate with clients nationally and globally.
- Early Religence Clients: Otis Spunkmeyer, Applikon, Sun Microsystems, CSE-Insurance
- Contact Religence CEO Linda Sharp Directly
- A Customer Experience performance management consulting firm with Relationship Age processes and analytics for high value B2B product and service clients.
- Religence holds business process Patent No. US 7,526,434 for a Network-Based System and Method of Marketing Management. This method measures and manages marketing by measuring and managing the development of relationships between a company and its customers. That is, the method measures and manages what customers experience and how value is created to execute strategy.
- A multi-disciplinary consulting group formed to commercialize the patent, to collaborate on the Religence Framework and to implement our tailored, breakthrough concepts with clients.
- Customer Relationship Intelligence (CRI), a business process to map and track the Customer Experience. Transform the Enterprise. Increase real-time operational control/profit. Lower risk. Get closer to customers. Focus on retention. Make sense of the data. Repeat success. Compete on relationships.
- Tools to measure what matters–to compete on unique relationships, tied to business results. Value Creation Mapping methodology maps the Customer Experience and measures what creates or destroys customer value. Customer Experience tracking either periodically or dynamically in real-time predicts stronger, longer future relationships.
- Our breakthrough Relationship Value metric is a leading indicator for both profit and satisfaction.
- Trends Embraced: Real-time management of Customer Experience; customer focus; digital business transformation; BIG DATA; convergence of BI, CRM, and BPM; intelligence built into process; collaboration across functions; emergence of business rules; scenario analysis; structured data; pattern analysis, gamification.
Our latest blog posts: Why Fly Blind?
- Answer these 7 critical business questions. Change your game!
- In digital transformation initiatives, which core systems really matter in insurance, in any business?
- Are you driving positive and profitable customer relationships?
- Would you want to be your customer? Why? Why not?
- It’s obvious…quantify Customer Relationship Value (CRV).
- Customer Relationship Value game changer…our real-time CRV Score!
- Customer profitability segmentation methods
- What is value?
- Customer profitability beats product profitability
- Align Sales and Operations for profit
Thought Leaders Embrace CRI
Customer Relationship Intelligence
See What They Have to Say
“Well worth an executive read…”
“This book is powerful…”
“logical, scientific, mathematical approach…”
“must-read resource for a new breed of marketers…”
“unique and practical method…”
Our highly-rated HACKs on the MIX
Management Innovation eXchange:
FREE CRI BOOK:
Measure Management 2.0 with CRI
Measure Value Creation with CRI
Measure Strategy Execution with CRI
Measure Innovation Community with CRI
Measure Performance Innovation with CRI
Innovating Innovation Requires a Three-Pronged Strategy